Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Creative Process

image This poster (site) tries to capture the entire process of design.

It was created by Dubberly Design Office, a software design company. It may not be 100% relevant to architecture specifically, but I found it graphically appealing, none the less (pdf download).

My only criticism is that they spell it out as a linear process, while I find design to be a bit messier than that. It would be very cool to see a 3d interpretation of the creative process (even for one project), scripted or otherwise, as a way to explain the entire creative process (as was attempted here) or as a way to catalog research.

Perhaps this is the problem with mind mapping in general: it’s only 2d. I really wish someone would create a graphically appealing 3d mind mapping software (not this) - one that is intuitive and useful and not very hard to manage. Simply put, I want a tool which doesn’t make me work for it.

By the way, the website also has posters showing other processes such as baseball, a design for the internet, heart attacks, how to play, or innovate (among others). Viewer discretion provided.